Everton advance with 2-0 win over Ryutsu-Keizai University

Published Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:53 PM by Shane Barrow
Everton advance with 2-0 win over Ryutsu-Keizai University

Matchday 3 with both Everton and Ryutsu-Keizai University from Japan having everything to play for still at Dallas Cup XXXVI.  Ryutsu were coming off a very impressive victory over River Plate while Everton had earned a solid win over LA Galaxy on Monday.  The side from Japan only needed a draw to win the group and even a one goal loss would leave them in good position to advance to Friday’s semifinal round.  Everton needed nothing less than a two goal victory.

Ryutsu-Keizai came out on the front foot and spent the opening few minutes in the Everton third.  But in 5th minute Everton would score on their first attack of the match.  David Henen danced on ball just inside the Ryutsu penalty area putting three defenders on their heels.  Henen cut to his right and fired low into the back side netting.  A great individual effort.

Ryutsu almost tied the score in the 31st minute with a wonderful display of skill from Tachibana as he beat several Everton defenders before ripping a shot off the post.  The ball came off the post and then off the head of diving Everton keeper Mateusz Hewelt before being cleared off the line to safety.  Unlucky for the Japanese on that one.

Everton went right back on the attack and nearly scored the second goal in the 39th as David Henen laid off a ball for Aiden Graham.  His shot was defelected off the side netting for a corner.  Just inches wide.  The match would go to the break with Everton leading 1-0.  They would need at least one more goal in the second half or be eliminated from Dallas Cup.

Everton opened the 2nd half pushing hard for the needed goal.  In the 49th Aiden Graham whipped a left footer that was barely saved over crossbar.  Only a minute later Graham got in again but fired high.  Everton were on attack!

In the 68th Everton captain Ledson picked up a ball 30 yards from goal prepped onto his right foot and had a go from distance.  It was a good strike that the Ryutsu-Keizai keeper had to leap and tip over the crossbar to keep the match 1-0.

Finally in the 76th minute Everton got the goal they were after. Delial Brewster got onto a long ball and outraced the Ryutsu defender before slipping a cross that Jack Bainbridge finished from close range. 2-0 to Everton with the Japanese now in big trouble.  Everton dropped deep after the goal and got all eleven men behind the ball.  Ryutsu-Keizai probed for a way through, but had no answers.  A last gasp effort whizzed wide and Everton had the result that put them in position to advance to the knockout rounds.  With the later results Everton claimed the top runner up position and will play Brazilian side Cortiba in a semifinal match on Friday in Frisco, Texas.