Manchester United rout Seattle Sounders 7-0 as Rooney grabs hat trick

Published Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:37 PM by Shane Barrow
Manchester United rout Seattle Sounders 7-0 as Rooney grabs hat trick A good contest turned ugly in the second half as Manchester United notched 6 goals after the break in route to a 7-0 victory in front of a monster crowd in Seattle. Seattle’s full-strength lineup struggled to make headway against the 19-time English champions. That’s not to say the match wasn’t competitive. Both squads fought hard and in the 31st minute, United captain Nemanja Vidic gave Fredy Montero a hard shove after the whistle. Seattle’s best chance to score came in the 37th minute. After Fredy Montero chased down his own rebound, he set up James Riley in the middle of the penalty area. The resulting shot was hard and low but too close to Anders Lindegaard. The game went to halftime 1-0, thanks to a great Kasey Keller save against Michael Owen in a one-on-one situation. Both teams made wholesale changes at halftime, with Seattle making eight changes and United inserting Rooney, among others. The visitors tacked on a second goal in the 49th minute, courtesy of Diouf. The Senegalese forward turned and scored from an acute angle after Seattle goalkeeper unsuccessfully challenged the initial pass from Nani. In the 51st Rooney scored off a cross from Nani again, finding the top of the net from close range. Seattle valiantly tried to answer back. Lamar Neagle missed the goal with a wide-open attempt in the 52nd, while Mike Fucito forced a sprawling save from United goalkeeper Ben Amos. Rooney added a goal in the 69th minute and another in the 72nd after finding space in the area. Pat Noonan did his best to get the consolation goal for Seattle, twice coming close in the second half. However, the difference in competition was clear. Manchester United roll on to Chicago for a weekend friendly before taking on the league’s best in the MLS All-Star Game. They close out the tour with a friendly against FC Barcelona at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland July 30.