Chelsea go to The Etihad and beat Manchester City

Published Monday, February 3, 2014 11:21 AM by Shane Barrow
Chelsea go to The Etihad and beat Manchester City

On Monday the English Premier League offered us a matchup to get our minds off that clunker of a Super Bowl from the night before.  Hopefully, Chelsea visiting Manchester City would offer more intrigue than the 43-8 massacre Seattle put on Denver.

If Jose Mourinho had his way it was going to be a tight, low scoring affair.  He threw a very defensive lineup on the field.  Even more defensive than usual for him.  City would have to come break them down as Chelsea sat back.

Chelsea were planning for just that and hoped to counter when the chances arose.  Mourinho's men got exactly the game they wanted in the  opening half of play.

In the 26th minute Chelsea turned a Manchester corner kick into a flash attack the other way.  It was a four on two break that only a good save from Joe Hart stopped.  Minutes later Hart could not stop the next Chelsea attack as Ivanovic fired a left footed rifle low past him into the net.

Chelsea had their lead as Mourinho's tactics were once again spot on.  City were controlling the ball while Chelsea were getting all the meaningful attacking chances.

Just before the halftime whistle the visitors should have made it 2-0 as Hazard got deep into the City box before sliding the ball to the backpost.  Samuel Eto'o was there but put his shot off the crossbar.

Manchester City went to the break trailing 1-0 and needing to be much sharper in the second half.  You simply cannot be so sloppy playing a team as tactically prepared and disciplined as Chelsea.

The second half was much the same with Chelsea even exerting more influence over the game.  Through sixty minutes not much more could be said other than that Chelsea were simply the better team on the day.  Luckily, Manchester City still had half an hour to flip the script.

In the 67th Chelsea were denied by the woodwork once again as a corner kick was headed on goal and had Joe Hart beaten.  Gary Cahill stood hand on head as the ball came back off the right post.  City were still alive.  Would Chelsea end up paying for the close misses later on?

In the 73rd Yaya Toure earned a dangerous free kick inside of twenty five yards.  David Silva curled the shot on goal, but Petr Cech tipped the ball around the post for a corner kick.

Manchester City were starting to apply more pressure, but could they break down that Chelsea defense and get the match tied?  In the end, Chelsea were just too good on the day.  The 1-0 Chelsea win handed City their first home loss in twelve matches on the year. It was also the first time in 62 games that City were shut out at The Etihad.