PSG grab 3-1 advantage over Chelsea after first leg

Published Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:00 PM by Roberto Garcia

It was the dream start for Paris St Germain on Wednesday in their Champions League quarterfinal against Chelsea. To the delight of the French fans PSG found themselves in front in less five minutes.  A poor John Terry headed clearance went straight to Lavezzi who volleyed into the roof of the net.

The early goal made the Chelsea task seem even bigger as PSG were unbeaten a home in 28 straight European matches.

But Chelsea showed they were to be reckoned with though as they pushed PSG back for the next ten minutes straight. The Blues certainly looked like they were capable of finding the net on the day. For some reason the French side had clearly taken their foot off the pedals and were seeming content with their first half goal.

After the hour mark that mentality was punished as the visitors from England evened the match at 1-1. Oscar drew a foul in the penalty area and then calmly put away the spot kick.  Tie game and an all-important away goal for the visitors.

Chelsea would surely take this score line back to London, but they had 45 more minutes to play. That would turn out to be a verybig problem.

It was all PSG the second 45. In fact, Chelsea would not even manage a single shot on goal the entire half.

Just past the hour mark Paris St Germain would regain their lead. A dangerous set piece was perfectly flighted in by Blaise Maruidi. The ball went into an arriving throng of players where it bounced of David Luiz and into the net for an own goal. 2-1 to PSG.

The exclamation point to the victory came deep into injury time when Javier Pastore showed a bit of brilliance. Dribbling out of the corner he skipped down the endline past the Chelsea defenders before blasting a low left footer past Petr Cech at the near post. A lovely goal to round out the 3-1 PSG win.

The second leg will be a tall task for Chelsea as Ramires and Matic will both be out with suspensions, but PSG could be missing Ibrahimovic who left the game with an apparent hamstring injury.